On the outlawing of government officials, citizens of the USSR abroad, who have fled to the camp of enemies of the working class and peasantry, and who refuse to return to the USSR
Translation and editing copyright © 2001 by Hugo S. Cunningham
Last updated y10122
SZ SSSR, 1929 No. 76, p. 732
as reprinted in
Ministry of Justice of the RSFSR, Criminal Code of the RSFSR: Official text with changes up to 1 July 1950 with the addition of materials arranged according to articles [of the code], State Publishing House of Juridicial Literature, Moscow, 1950; pp. 156-157
ON THE OUTLAWING OF GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS, CITIZENS OF THE USSR ABROAD, WHO HAVE FLED TO THE CAMP OF ENEMIES OF THE WORKING CLASS AND PEASANTRY, AND WHO REFUSE TO RETURN TO THE USSR
Decree of the CECe1 of the USSR from 21 November 1929
1. The refusal of a citizen of the USSR, who is a responsible official of a state establishment or enterprise of the USSR acting abroad, to a suggestion by organs of state authority to return to the territory of the USSR shall be considered desertion into the camp of the enemies of the working class and peasantry, to be considered as treason.
2. Persons, refusing to return to the USSR, shall be outlawed.
3. Outlawry shall entail:
a) confiscation of all property of the condemned,
4. All such matters shall be reviewed by the Supreme Court of the USSR.
b) shooting of the condemned within 24 hours of verifying his identity.
5. The names of outlaws shall be provided to all Executive Committees of Soviets and to organs of the OGPU1).
6. This law shall apply retroactively.
Note in original text
Return to table of contents for 1950 edition of Criminal Code.
Return to Cyber-USSR home page.